Monday, May 25, 2009
The Hats We Wear
I've always marveled at the jobs that moms have and the "hats" we wear every day. Just as a stay at home mom, I am a cook, nurse, referee, teacher, maid, laundry woman, diaper changer, boo boo kisser, hair stylist, grocery shopper, personal shopper, chauffeur, and schedule keeper and if you're a mom who works you also share in the so called bread-winning in your home. I'm sure there are many other jobs that I haven't even mentioned here that we moms do every day. But Sunday night as I watched my husband hang new ceiling fans in our kids' rooms, it suddenly occurred to me that dads wear a lot of hats too, maybe even more than us moms. These thoughts came on as I thought back over the years to all the other lights and fans Paul has installed in the homes we've lived in. I wondered to myself if he had ever thought before we got married that he would eventually be intimately acquainted with the inner workings of our electronics and light fixtures. I didn't ask him this because I have also learned not to chat with him while he is doing those kind of things. But those thoughts led me to list all the hats that dads wear. They are the chief bread winners, spiritual leaders, landscapers, handymen, electricians, as well as being a substitute mom, doing all the jobs she does, when necessary. They are also so important to their kids as they grow, providing the assurance of beauty and delight to their little girls and giving their sons the confidence that they can accomplish any goal they set. I have so much respect for the jobs that dads do and I am thankful that even with all the work and importance that comes with being a mom that I don't have to do the jobs that dads do. My job is hard enough as it is! I guess this is a good post for this close to Father's Day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
In a way, I've always felt sorry for dads (that is, good dads who actually do their part and don't shirk everything onto mom's shoulders). Not only do they work full-time, but they come home and know that mom needs a break from the kids (assuming their wife is a SAHM), so they spend a portion of their evening playing with, feeding, bathing, etc, their kids. Even if the mom didn't need that evening break, the kids would still want dad to help with all of that because they haven't seen them all day. So dads get even fewer breaks than mom in a lot of cases.
And as an aside, I'm sure you guys are enjoying having some ceiling fans up in the bedrooms!
Very good tribute to dads! Your dad put up 3 ceiling fans the past few days. Jesse, Christie & I did help him, but he told us what to do.
You are so right, Grace! Good fathers are a rare comodity these days! It sounds like Paul is one of the good ones. We have alot of good dads in our family for which we all need to be thankful.
Post a Comment