Saturday, May 16, 2009

Making Memories

There are so many funny, cute and memorable things that kids do when they are small. Unfortunately, us moms can tend to have amnesia when it comes to those things. For instance, just yesterday, Riley said something really funny in the car and I even thought, oh I need to write that down to remember forever, and now today, I can't for the life of me remember what she said. I don't even remember what it was about! And it was just yesterday!! Sheesh! So anyway, these memory lapses also seem to get worse with each child so I figure I better start writing stuff I want to remember about all my kids down because otherwise, I'll have no memory of even giving birth to Tyler! And of course I would hate to question whether he was mine or not. :) So here are some things my kids have or are currently doing or saying that are funny and/or special or I just want to be able to recall in the future.



-This week, Tyler started really smiling on purpose at us! It is such a sweet thing to be able to pick your baby up and have him give you a full on grin just because he's happy to see you. And you can have morning breath and hair like Don King and he still thinks you're great! Babies are the best! (At least in this area :))



-On Friday for the first time, Jake told me he needed to go potty and he wasn't already wet! I was beyond thrilled, let me tell you. After a week of cleaning pee off the floor, taking him to the bathroom every hour and still having to change his clothes ten minutes after the last bathroom trip, and having to argue him into at least trying to go on the toilet, I am rewarded with some noteable progress! And that night, he told us he needed to potty in a bookstore and he was wearing a diaper! When Paul took him, he actually went! And then after he went to bed last night and had been sleeping (at least I assume he was asleep) for a couple of hours, he cried and when I went to check on him he said he needed to potty again. And again he was in a diaper!!! So, needless to say, as you can tell by all the exclamation points, I am very excited that potty training might be starting to work. I'm not letting my guard down completely, since as sure as I do that, he'll have a day of accidents and more pee getting on the floor. But I am greatly encouraged.



-If you've ready my other two posts, you'll see that one of my current obsessions is with Tyler's sleeping habits, namely his ability to go to sleep on his own when I put him down. After a couple of days of working with him on that, he is also starting to make progress toward going to sleep on his own. I am still having to pick him up a couple of times when I initially put him down to calm him down but he is getting better about it and I have hope that in maybe another week or so, I'll be able to put him down awake every time and he'll go to sleep with a minimum of fussing and no need for me to go back into his room.

-Jake has really started to talk a lot more clearly and his vocabulary expands on a daily basis. This makes for some funny and surprising statements from him. I still feel like he shouldn't be able to talk at all so when he talks to me in complete sentences that actually make sense, it's a little bit of a shock but also funny. The other day I called him honey and he informed me that "I not honey, I a boy!" I thought that was too cute.

-Riley recently lost her first tooth, one of the bottom front ones, and that was such a big deal for all of us! She of course was thrilled since she had been waiting for quite awhile for a tooth to even be loose in her mouth so to actually have one come out was a big deal. For me, it was such a huge sign that my little girl is getting older and growing up. You would think I would have already been getting that message, I mean she is in kindergarten, can make her own lunch if necessary, walks to friends houses from our house, can now ride in the car with only a booster seat and the regular seat belt, and I could go on but you get the picture. But there is just something about a kid losing a tooth that realy signifies growing up. She is losing her baby teeth now and is going to soon be getting permanent teeth like an adult has! I just can't get over that! For now though I am enjoying the slight lisp she has going on with that hole in her mouth and look forward to hearing her talk when the tooth next to the missing one, which is now also loose, comes out.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I can really relate to the part with Jake's speech. I never thought Garrett would talk and then it's like overnight they master their vocabulary and surprise you every hour with things they say. It's so cute! I would love to hear a conversation between Garrett and Jake. I'm sure it would be hilarious. :) What you said about forgetting things is why we have blogs. It's so nice to be able to jot stuff down on here, even if nobody else cares, it's good to have it in writing and be able to come back and reread it later on. So fun!